Custody dispute between Bristol Palin and son's father heats up

When parents in Florham Park decide to separate and raise their child apart, it is not uncommon for one parent to question the other’s parenting decisions and choices. This often contributes to many parents seeking an agreement modification for their original child custody order. Modifications of these types will often seek to transfer sole custody from one parent to the other or to change to a joint custody arrangement from a situation where only one parent has custody.

The child custody dispute between Bristol Palin, daughter of the former governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin, and the father of her four-year-old son has once again been ignited. According to reports, the man who fathered Palin’s son recently filed a request with the court seeking joint custody of the boy. This is not the first time, however, that he has tried to have the child custody order modified. He purportedly filed a similar request about a year ago, apparently to no avail.

For her part, Palin has reportedly filed a motion of her own to block her former boyfriend’s attempts at gaining joint custody of their son. According to reports, included in her argument as to why she wants the judge to dismiss her son’s father’s petition were allegations that the father of her son does not regularly visit the boy and that he owes her $67,000 in back child support.

Just as it is likely that both Palin and her son’s father sought legal counsel before taking any actions in this case, so too should anyone who is involved in a child custody dispute. A lawyer will look out for their interests and can help plead their case to a family law judge so that the judge can make an informed decision that is in the best interests of the child.

Source: New York Daily News, “Bristol Palin to judge: Don’t give deadbeat dad Levi Johnston shared custody of our son Tripp,” Nancy Dillon, Nov. 19, 2013